I have been in Asia for just over 2 weeks now and it has been quite the adventure thus far. It took a little while to adjust, but I am enjoying my time here. The first few days were a little crazy trying to get settled and slowly adjusting to a new culture, but I survived. We spent our first day here on a scavenger hunt throughout the city. We were equipped with a simple phrasebook, lists of things to find, a little money and not much else. It was quite the challenge learning to communicate with such little knowledge of the language. Combine that with confusing bus routes and it was an interesting learning experience. However, it gave us a great opportunity to get to know the area and learn that even though it is unfamiliar, we can survive here.
Along with that I have had some time to experience some interesting Asian Cuisine so far. I have learned that I am not a fan of tofu, no matter how you cook it, and that the "beef" we have been eating is actually water buffalo, but luckily I have also found some enjoyable foods as well.
I've also had some time, along with my teammates, to explore the University campus, (it is laden with hills and tall steep staircases so plenty of exercise here) as well as having the opportunity to meet lots of students. We were invited to a Paper Bridge Building competition where students built bridges using only paper and string and they were testing the strength of their designs. It was interesting to see some of the crazy designs they had developed. We also attended an English party where students provided entertainment for us in all forms, including a Michael Jackson impersonation. It was an funny experience to say the least. Also, this morning I had the opportunity to shadow a civil engineering student, where I attended a soils lab and got to learn a little about how they study engineering in Asia.
I have been learning a ton in my time here so far and I know there is lots more to do and learn in the coming weeks!
As you think of it, please continue to lift up our team and the relationships we are building with the people here, that we would be meaningful and intentional in our conversations.