Verse of the Week

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Ephesians 4:1-3

Thursday, June 3, 2010

One Month Down, One to Go

Greetings from East Asia!
I have been having quite a few adventures since I wrote last. I have also been continuing to learn some new things and try some strange foods. I have been in Asia now for one month and it has been quite an interesting road to travel. While I am learning a lot and getting comfortable in some things, I believe there are some aspects of life here I will never get used to: While I am getting very well acquainted with the bus routes and getting where I need to around town, I do not think I will ever be comfortable with the chaotic driving used here. (There have been multiple times we have been in buses that are driving on the wrong side of the road, and I often fear for the lives of the pedestrians who are walking these streets when buses come by.) I also believe the karaoke outside of our windows at night will never be appealing. However, I am slowly learning a little bit of the language and am able to communicate with people when I need to, at least in very simple terms. Recently I have had the pleasure of trying some more crazy foods as well. I’ve had sheep, which was not horrible, but I won’t be running out and ordering more anytime soon. I also had the pleasure of experiencing duck and pigeon…which was interesting. I’ve decided that traveling overseas makes me more willing to try weird foods; however, it does not make me more likely to enjoy them. Luckily these interesting foods are not all that my diet consists of here.
Since I last wrote our team has done a small amount of traveling. We took a short excursion and had the chance to experience some other cities in this country. We visited two new cities, one very large, and one about the same size as the one in which we are living. It was interesting to see how diverse the country can be from place to place, and how different the people seem to be as well. Our first stop was the large city and we stayed there for about 2 ½ days. This large city provided us the opportunity to experience some different aspects of engineering including international architecture and trains, so it was a diverse learning experience to say the least. In this we also found a chance to fit in a small amount of shopping which is always fun in a foreign country. After the large city, we departed via night train to our second destination. The night train was a new experience as I have never ridden in a sleeper car before. I think it was an interesting experience, certainly one worth having, but I found the movement of the train was not conducive to my sleeping. Our second stop was a smaller city than the first, but it plays host to a very large dam on a prominent river in the country. So, being the engineers we are, our team spent a day taking a tour of the dam and learning about its construction. It was incredible, though somewhat heartbreaking, to learn about the thousands of people displaced when this dam was constructed. But, I found it interesting to see such an attempt to tame the power of nature. The Father’s power and beauty is definitely evident in this country! Our short adventure was quite a fun one, however a tiring one as well. But, we’ve made it safely back to our city and our now getting quickly back into the swing of things.
Here in the city we are spending some time working on an interesting project. Upon its completion there will be a virtual tour of the city put together where people from around the world can log on and learn about the city and its needs and be able to lift up the city. So, in order to complete this project we are getting to know the city quite well. We are spending time riding buses around the city, walking different areas, and learning about all that goes on here. It is a great way to really get familiar and learn about the real needs in this place. I have spent a lot of time observing the daily lives of the people here, learning to live like they do and it has been hard work, but well worth it. Along with this, we are continuing to work with students at the University in this city. We are going out and meeting new people and furthering the relationships we have with people already. I have had some great opportunities to share with people I have met, and will continue to further these conversations. Being in this country has definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone in many ways and while it gets tiring at times, I am definitely thankful for the opportunity. It is teaching me a lot about survival in unfamiliar places and placing everything in the Father’s hand. I am looking forward to what else is in store in the month that I still have here.
As you think of it, please continue to lift up my team, as our time comes closer to ending we are only going to get busier and more worn out. Also, some of us our fighting colds and we do not want that to be a hindrance to our time here.