Verse of the Week

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Ephesians 4:1-3

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflections

Nihao!
So I have been home from China for just over a week and it has been an interesting transition. Everything from getting used to the time change, to speaking English instead of responding automatically in Chinese was a lot more of a struggle than I thought it would be. But, I am finally get used to normal life at home again and still continuing to understand all that I learned in my time overseas.
In the few days before we headed home, we had quite a busy time wrapping things up. We were able to finish our virtual prayer walk tour and successfully post it online for people to experience themselves (if you would like the address of the tour feel free to email me and I will send it to you). It was exciting to know that after a summer of hard work putting the project together we left China with a finished project. We could look back on our time spent walking the city and clearly see all that we did. Also, it serves as a great opportunity to continue praying for the people of this city that we served.
Also, in our last few days we were able to have a small going away party where we invited all of our friends. We were able to have one last night of fun before we left and we could bid farewell to all the great people we met along the way. It was a sad parting in many ways and yet exciting when we were able to look back at all the people we met and the many seeds that were planted. Now as I am home, I will continue to pray for those many students and the work God is doing in their lives.
In two months in China I learned a great number of things. I had many different experiences, each of which I value greatly. I learned a small amount of the language, enough to get by anyways, a little bit of history and the Chinese people, and a lot about myself and my relationship with the Father. We had the chance to learn about some different aspects of Chinese history during our time, everything from ancient schooling to ancient leaders, to famous missionaries who once did work in the country. I was able to gain a lot of insight into the lives of the people of China, especially the students. I saw the needs of the people, a need for love, and for the gospel in their hands. The students we spoke with had a large variety of responses to the Word. Some people found it very interesting, some thought it was a nice story, some had never before heard the name of Jesus, and some were not at all interested. I was able to see the challenges faced in spreading the gospel in that country, many people are willing to listen to what you want to share, but do not take it seriously as the truth. There are many people who are bound by tradition and family obligation and they were not open to receiving the Gospel. But, God is at work in that country and people are coming to know him. The work we did in our time there is not in vain and He will produce fruit from our labor in His timing.
I realize now that there are huge advantages to spending more than just a few weeks overseas serving. There are so many things I learned from this trip that I never experienced when I went to Africa simply because of the amount of time I spent there. Being in China for an extended time without a leader, just with a team of peers, taught me a lot about being independent and learning to survive in places that are unfamiliar to me. I had to learn to shop, to find groceries, and get from place to place on my own. I had to learn to communicate with people, even if it was only in short simple sentences. But, ultimately, it taught me to depend more on the Father. It taught me to look to God and allow him to guide my steps, because I could not have accomplished everything on my own. I also learned that God knows who is ready to hear his message, and if you are obedient he will bring those people to you so that you can share. Going out and sharing with strangers is not as scary as it once seemed because God has already appointed those people he wants you to meet. I was able to see the work that God was doing in that city long before we ever arrived and I know he will continue that work now that we are gone. I also learned to appreciate the Body of Christ as a whole and the support it provides. It is such a blessing to be surrounded by other people who are a part of the body, and it is such a necessary thing in order to stay strong and grow in the word. I saw how my team, as well as the people praying at home, were such a huge asset to my journey. They provided things that I would not have survived without.
My trip to China was not necessarily an easy one. I faced some struggles, I got sick a few times, I was tired and worn out and sometimes discouraged, but it is in those times I learned the most. I am so thankful for those opportunities to wrestle with my faith and to grow in my walk. I have no desire to be comfortable with who I am or what I am doing in my walk. I want to continue to grow and learn and serve and it is the challenges and struggles that help me along on this journey.